Thursday, January 19, 2012

Adventures in Euroland: Day 2

During the day:
Jetlag is a bitch. Plain and simple. Also, having not slept more than between 4 and 6 hours a night for the last week or so, I was desperately in need of sleep apparently. I slept all day. I was awake for a bit in the morning, but I slept from last night to about 6:30am, was awake from 6:30 to 7:30, and then slept from 7:30 to 5:00pm. Good grief. 

It was also very overcast and raining all day, so I think that added to the feeling of sleepiness. Again, the weather seems very fitting for this area though. 

In the evening:
I woke up shorty before Nick came back from his job. We took a short walk around town. There is a castle pretty much right next door to the hotel we are staying at. It was already dark out so we couldn't see much, but I will go look around the castle tomorrow. I think it is only 3 or 4 Euros to get in. If the castle isn't open tomorrow I will explore town a little bit. There is an old fashion windmil on the south side of town I would like to check out. 

I can see why so much mythology came out of this place. It has a feeling to it which is hard to describe and must be experienced to be understood. A feeling of weight, of age, and depth. This place has seen things, it knows a different way of life, and has seen many times come and go.

Most of the streets are all stone, either like cobblestone or flagstone or something similar. All the lights are sodium lights, which give off a gentle more orangeish glow. It doesn't have the harsh, ever bright always awake feeling of a larger city, which is nice. There seem to be very few paved streets in Bad Bentheim. The town seems to be mostly older people as well. I am looking forward to seeing more of the town in the daylight.

Dinner was next, Most of the meat served here is pork. Some of the sauces that the meat is served in are pretty tasty. The staple foods at the hotel seem to be meat and potatoes. They have had a pasta as well, with soup and fruit available. And dessert. Usually cake, which is what I think most Americans would consider to be pretty dry, but it is very tasty. 

After dinner we decided to go check out the pool. Boy was it amazing! Only pictures can do it justice. It was beautiful. The mood lighting was especially cool. The whole pool is just very modern looking and beautiful. I am finding here and there you can see a blend of historic or traditional culture meshed with modern technology. LED lights hung in the dining area across from very old oil paintings. It's a neat blend. 

Tomorrow, Plans and Goals:
Tomorrow I plan to walk around town some, get some pictures, do some sketches, etc. 

I very much want to see the castle, and maybe the windmill if the weather is nice and I feel like walking that far. 

I also plan on purchasing some bottle water that is NON-SPARKLING. I am feeling pretty dehydrated because I am having trouble forcing myself to drink the fizzy water. Bleh. :( Even if I can find juice, that would be great. I have not attempted the tap water yet because Nick has told me that the bacteria content in the water is different then back in the states and that he switched to bottled because the tap water gave him the runs. 

I think that about sums it up. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight since I got so much sleep today and tomorrow will be filled with exploring town and lots of sketching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment