Monday, January 23, 2012

Adventures in Euroland: Day 6

Thoughts on a quiet day:
Walked around town more, things that I have noticed.

Even though there is lots of country side in this country, space in town is very cramped. Hallways are narrower, streets are narrower, elevators are freaking TINY.

Here in Bad Bentheim there is little to no ambient noise. When walking to dinner in the evenings there is very little light polution, and no sirens, no cars, no dogs, its very quiet. You can hear the wind and the gentle rain, but usually not alot else as compared with most towns in America. Even when eating in the restaurants the ambient noise level seems to be much quieter. People talk very quietly, and Nick's voice seems to just carry, which is kind of awkard. Places are just very hushed.

There is a lot of new mixed with old. I think I may have mentioned this before, but you just see a lot that.

Most people here seem to prefer cash. I dont think I've seen anyone pay for anything by card yet.

It is interesting to me that so many people speak multiple languages. It really makes me want to learn more. Esepcially to improve my Japanese before I got Japan. Big time. I think about how difficult it must be for people to travel to America if they don't speak English since a lot of people in our country only speak English.

I do find it interesting though, and incidentally enough Nick has had the same experience; when trying to commnicate with someone in German, if it is kind of spurr of the moment, we've both answered people in Japanese. How weird is that!? I am not sure if it is maybe just the part of the brain that stores foreign language freaking out and pulling the first thing that it comes across out to respond with or what, but it's odd. Someone will ask a question and instead of "Ja" (Yaw) we've both nodded and been like "Hai" (Which is yes in Japanese). It's the weirdest thing.

Also, here are pictures of the hotel here in Bad Bentheim. It's very cozy. :)

Here is the bakery where Nick and I would get our lunch. It was called Joh Wittenbrink. They had some tasty deserts too.
A view of one of the streets from my room.
Do you know what this is? This is awesomeness made metal. Basically all the bathrooms have towel warmers in them. Oh. My god. I want one in my house.
Showers do not come with curtains or doors. The standard seems to be a piece of glass that comes not quite half way down the tub with a shower head on that side. Very cool. Except its hard to shower without getting water on the floor. : /
The bathroom at our first hotel had two parts. One room had the tub and the sink...
The other was a tiny closet sized room with the toilet in it. The button on the wall flushes the toilet. Almost all the bathrooms I have been in have either two handles, one for flushing a little (or going number one) and one for flushing more (when you go number two) or you can opt to push to flush, and push back to stop. These people are serious about not wasting water on flushing toilets. I actually like this set up a lot better than the way toilets flush back home in America. It's pretty spiffy.

The totally suave and very amazing swimming pool of modern luxury. This was the coolest pool I have ever been in. The lights on the wall and in the pool change colors. Also, the water was really warm. And a lot less chlorine smelling/feeling than pools back home. Probably because I don't think a lot of kids get to swim in here, so its not needed... if you catch my drift...


Another shot of the pool.













PEACE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment