Friday, January 27, 2012

Adventures in Euroland: Day 10

Thoughts upon leaving Berlin:
Germany was, all in all, a really great experience. I think the Germans were, in general from what I experienced, a very private/quiet people, but also a polite and friendly people. Especially when they warm up to you a little bit. They seem to take care of and respect their history and their culture and I would not mind returning to Germany again. Although I would like to know more of the language first.

My Grammy asked me if she could see a lot of influence from the German culture in our [the American] culture. I really wasn't sure how to answer at first. I think it is a curiosity particular to my family especially since our last name is Sprague and as far as we have been able to trace, our heritage is mostly German with a smattering of other cultures thrown in.

I have given it some thought, and I do not see a lot of German influence in the American culture. At least not the part of the country we live in. (Colorado, which would be the Midwest part of the country)

I THINK, due to my limited exposure to living in other parts of the country, that one might find the most amount of German influence in the Northern part of the country, particularly North East. I think, based on what Mom has told me about growing up in Wisconson, that places like that have more German/Scandinavian type influences then other parts. I think the way they dress, social gatherings with close friends and family to play card games and drink beer, cheese and sausage being very common foods, etc.

On my trip to Nashville I met a writer name Phil. He told the Extroverted Norwegian joke. It goes like this:

How can you tell when you are talking to an extroverted Norwegian?
I dunno, how?
He's staring at YOUR shoes.

This is kind of the vibe I get from the people of Northern Germany, although not that extreme certainly. And again, this is only my perception, which is colored by my ideas, attitudes, and experiences.

Grammy, I hope that answers your question. That was a difficult question and our Country is SO large compared to the countries in Europe it is difficult for me to answer acurately having only really lived in the Midwest.

Initial Impressions of Amsterdam:
Upon arriving in Amsterdam and getting a taxi to our hotel, and seeing the rooms, Nick and I were pretty appauled. It is essentialy like being in a closet.

Nick was pretty pissed off because it cost more than the hotel in Berlin and the rooms were a third the size. MAYBE a fourth. So we went out for dinner so he could cool off.

And we were met with more shock and appaul.

Amsterdam, at least the part of the town we are staying in, is DIRTY. I'm not talking like, dirty minded, which it is also that, but I mean the town is filthy. There is trash EVERYWHERE, the side walks are dirty, there is gum all over the ground, there are cigarette butts everywhere, the buildings and windows are dirty, EVERYTHING is covered in grime. The place we ate at, was dirty inside too.

We passed pot stores, and hooka bars, and alcohols shops, and all kinds of stuff. There are lots of people out in the evening, and the streets and sidewalks are very crowded. Everything is very narrow due to all the canals, and people have a very small personal bubble here. (Americans actually have the largest of any culture. On average we prefer to stand or be at least six feet away from each other when we talk to people.) They have no problems bumping into you when they walk by. They are louder and on the whole less considerate seeming and polite than the people we saw in Berlin.

The people here in Amsterdam just give off a vibe that says "I don't give a fuck."

It is very hard to explain, but the initial impression Nick and I got is that this would be what the wold would be like if it were run by pot heads and the spoiled children of wealthy people who are used to getting whatever they want, getting away with anything, and who don't care about anything.

Obviously people come to Amsterdam for Drugs and Sex. But we really had no idea that downtown was so trashy.

I feel bad writing these things because I am sure there are lots of decent and hard working people who live here, I just have yet to meet any of them. No one we have come across seems overly eager or ambitious or friendly. I'm sure people here are also very friendly, but I think perhaps Nick and I come across as stuffy and contemptous, which compared to these people we probably are.

It's hard not to be when the prevading atmosphere is one that comes across as the people being very lazy and unindustrious. (is that even a word?)

Anyway, suffice it to say that neither Nick or I are impressed with Amsterdam AT ALL. I feel lonely, shocked, upset, lost, disgusted, afraid, weirded out, and ready to go home. I think this is probably what true culture shock feels like. I just do not understand this place at all. Maybe things will look better in the sunlight tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment